Thursday, August 21, 2008

Breastfeeding rates fall after newborn period

You've probably heard this news story about breastfeeding rates that came out of BYU. As we know, initiation rates for breastfeeding are decent; well, 77% is 3/4, but far from "most."

I digress. What I wanted to discuss with you is the fact that only one-third of mothers are still breastfeeding at six months. The recommendation, as you know, is a minimum of a year, by the AAP, two years if you consider WHO guidelines. (By the way, check out this great collection of breastfeeding recommendations by KellyMom.)

Why are mothers stopping breastfeeding? What do you think it is? The study suggests that each region, even metropolis, has its own reasons. What are they here? The only reason I ask these questions is so that we can each find our own answers to the next one:

What can we do to be more supportive, as individuals: friends, neighbors, sisters, strangers?

1 comment:

Doreen said...

I certainly don't know all the answers, but I've been observing this very thing lately. One of the ladies I always chat with in the mother's lounge at church is in the process of weaning her 6 month old daughter from breast to bottle. She says the baby doesn't need to eat nearly as frequently with formula as she did when nursing. She also said she was having some hormonal issues, which she is hoping will improve after weaning. Maybe 'getting your body back' is a reason? I know for me, personally, I usually go through a bit of a rough spot between about 5-8 months. I think I get to the point where I need the baby to slow down, and nurse a bit less frequently. Which usually happens around 8-9 months for me, as they begin eating more solid foods. Of course, I'm very dedicated to breastfeeding, so we get through the rough times and carry on. But I can also see how, with formula being so readily available and formula feeding being so well accepted (especially as babies get older), it would be easy for mothers to make the switch without really thinking twice about it. And then, of course, there is the issue of working mothers. In other parts of the world, mothers get a full year of maternity leave, which I'm sure would help boost breastfeeding rates in older babies. When you have to go back after just a couple of months, I can see how it would get more challenging to pump and breastfeed while at home as the baby gets older. Just some thoughts, baby is crying, gotta go nurse. :p